Sunday, September 28, 2008

Feedback from Readers # 5

On the US - Irish Work Visa Deal
I guess the Celtic Tiger is dying. Now all those liberal, U.S. hating Irish will be complaining about Bush etc. on our soil. Getting tired of this dance! Let's bring people here who LOVE America, not those who are just looking to use this country for a paycheck.
Irish American GOP Leader, Westchester County, N.Y



First, why should Cowen defend 50,000 Irish who want to be Americans and just use the Irish Government to forward this end, and why is America always the fallback to a bad irish economy? We have our own employment issues here. I feel the US is constantly used by countries like Ireland (and many others) as a magic elixer. As soon as the Irish economy heated up in the mid 1990's, the Irish bedouins returned. Now they want to came back to the US because the Tiger is cooling, and we allow it. As if we don't have enough problems with 12 million illegals fighting for jobs in a crashed economy here. Now we are agreeing to hundreds of thousands more, collectively? As with federal spending, sometimes you just have to have a freeze. I would extend this strategy to visas for all countries, during these disasterous financial times in our country. Am I wrong? I know that this would not be popular with the Irish, but I am an American first, and although I am proud of my ancestry, I must defend the interests of my country first and foremost.
Irish American GOP Leader, The Bronx, N.Y.
Both my grandparents were Irish and I have travelled to Ireland many times, both on business and leisure over the last 20 years. Much has changed in that time period. The Irish today are so unlike their forebears. Anti Americanism is widespread. Hurley, I know that you will argue that the sentiment is confined to the elite media and the establishment but that has not been my experience. From Malin Head to Mizen Head I have experienced arrogance, contempt and disdain for all things American. As they sit arrogantly and smugly underneath the U.S. security umbrella, it seems that all Irish are expert critics on American security and foreign policy. While their own country sits by under the guise of "neutrality" and does absolutley nothing in the War on Terrorism they have the gall to condemn our every move. Their cherished "neutrality" of course is a luxury which they are allowed to enjoy because American fighting men, including their Irish American cousins, are prepared to go to war to defend Western freedoms and democracy.
As for our Irish "American" media, it is so blantantly anti American that the few times I now pick up the Irish Voice and the Irish Echo, I feel less and less Irish every time. I have no sympathy for the illegal Irish. All they want to do is take, take, take. When was the last time you heard an Irish politician coming over here asking what Ireland could do for America. As for as I am concerned, the Irish are a nation of ingrates and I know my grandparents are turning in their graves. The US should make it clear to the Irish that the free ride is over.
Irish American Business Executive, Pennsylvania
On The Irish American Presidential Forum
Thanks Pat . . . but I am more worried that Boyle/McGinley/Roche will tag along again with the IAUC and other left wing, Demo groups who sit at the feet of Prof. Frank Boyle of the University of Illinois. Prof Boyle is a bad guy who has them all impressed with his so-called brilliance in foreign affairs. He convinced them that the Extradition Treaty, which we needed to capture some bad guys, was directed at the IRA and needed to be opposed. It had nothing to do with the IRA (even Joe Biden told them that) but the AOH joined the chorus. Keep up the good work.
Irish American GOP Leader, Virginia
On Tom Rooney for Congress
Mr. Hurley,
Is the Tom Rooney that you refer to the same gentleman that was Grand Marshal of the 2006 NY St. Patrick's Day Parade?
SDLP Member of the Legislative Assembly, Northern Irish Statelet
On Sean Sullivan for Congress
Mr. Hurley, thanks so much for sending out the email on the Sean Sullivan event.
I hope you can attend and would enjoy meeting you.
Thanks so much for your help, I really enjoy your blog as well!
Member, Committee to Elect Sean Sullivan

No comments: